Saturday, March 21, 2009

what is a "disciform scar"?

A disciform scar is a central scar, beneath the macula. It is the result of previously active wet macular degeneration...abnormal blood vessels in the area have bled...and now dried up...and left as a footprint...a scar.
There is no effective treatment. Patients have a central blindspot, loss of detailed vision and poor colour vision. Peripheral vision is retained.
Years ago...attempts were made to remove these scars surgically. Technically...the scars can be removed...however the retinal tissue above...and the pigment below...is typically damaged...and patients do not experience improvement in vision.

1 comment:

  1. I am from Nepal and 77 years of age. I am having this disciform scar on my left eye. I am going to get operated. What is the most wise decision and suggestion you can give me. what is the chance of getting back my sight
    Thanks! and hope for your valuable input.

    ReplyDelete